Residents are supported through the recreational and activity program to respond to, and interact with, their environment. This is done through the presentation of a variety of sights, sounds, smells, tastes and manipulative objects.
The outcome of this innovative program results in the reduced use of psychotropic medications simultaneously with the enhanced activity programs which were initiated in October 2008. Utilization of antipsychotics, hypnotics/sedatives and antidepressants were all reduced compared with baseline. Garden Crest data is being compared to state and national norms.
Some of the Recreation Therapy Programs include:
• Thematic activity programs on a monthly basis that highlight a special day or monthly overall themes.
• Expanded Adult Education programs to promote mental and creative pursuits with Arts and Crafts.
• Outings to destinations such as Descanso Gardens, China Town, Glendale Mall, and nearby parks.
• Country Breakfast and Candlelight Dinner on a monthly basis, with menu chosen by the residents.
• Musical programs include a monthly Drumming Circle that has been expanded to a weekly Music Lab using
• Therapeutic Yoga, Qui-Gong, stretch and other exercise routines.
• Happy Feet, a walking activity with music, is offered in the Residential Care Facility.
• The residents have a variety of programs to choose from throughout the day and there is never a dull moment.
• Laughter and smiles! There is an emphasis on humor and fun in all activities provided. Laughter is the best medicine!